Learn to sail

News YSC News and events

Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Blue Green Algae Update

Dear Member,

The council are currently still waiting for the equipment to re test the tarn for Blue Green Algae. I inspected the water today and I believe it is lossing its 'Pea Soup' colour and therefore we may be soon be able to sail, but not yet.

The committee will be discussing the matter further at the next meeting on Monday, if you wish to share any views on the matter beforehand then please email me.

We have said that we will follow the process of 2 clear tests before we lift the sailing ban. With luck we will be able to sail most of the frost bite season. Any member wishing to sail at either Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club or Ripon Sailing club, then please see earlier communications for further information.

The Newsletter will be out soon, so look out for that.


Tim B

Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Blue Green Algae Update - No Sailing

Dear Member,

I've been in communication with the Council and they inform me that they are in the process of implementing a testing system. This will take samples and indicate the whether Blue Green Algae is present and how many.

The latest observations indicate that the Algae is still present in large numbers.

I will update you if anything changes.

Kind regards

Tim Burnett

Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Out and About !

While we have been ‘algea’ed off the Tarn members have been out and about flying the flag for Yeadon.

The Streakers lead the way when they attended the Ripon Open meeting and left their boats there, subsequently, amongst others, John with his Laser and Phil with his Graduate have joined them.
South Shields Topper Open

The Juniors have been the busiest ! The Toppers have been out on the road, on the sea for the South Shields SC Open Meeting, sailing in epic conditions on Rutland Water in the RYA Zone Championships and training at Carsington Resevoir. A number will also be at Pennine Open next weekend and possibly the Autumn Open at Carsington the weekend after.

Toppers on the far side of Rutland Water
 Matt and Ben have been sailing their 420 at Burton and on the South Coast training at Itchenor, however the they would have preferred not to have meet the port tack boat quite the way they did ! While Luke has been doing the Northern Laser Open training sessions at Derwent, Sunderland, and will be at Yorkshire Dales and Scaling Dam in the next few weeks. He has also been doing the World/European (and RYA Youth squad) autumn qualifiers – at Sunderland where he did really well and at Pwllheli where he didn’t ! The last qualifier is at Plymouth in a couple of weeks time which is a long way to go!
420s Inlands at Burton

The National 12s have come across both extremes of conditions in Open Meetings they attended over the last two weekends. At Yorkshire Dales it was too windy to hold the last two races while and Ripon on Sunday they didn’t have enough wind to race. They are heading up to sail on the River Tyne at Newburn in a few weeks time.

If you are missing your regular fix of sailing please, like a number of fellow Club sailors, please take advantage of the kind offers we have had from Yorkshire Dales and Ripon Sailing Clubs to join in with their Club racing programme. Please speak to Tim, or any Committee member if you need any more information about sailing at either Club.

N12s at Yorkshire Dales (before the wind really arrived !)

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Streaker and Solo Open Cancelled due to Algae Problem

Dear Member,
Unfortunately due to the on-going Blue Green Algae problem we have taken the decision to cancel the planned Streaker and Solo Open Meeting at Yeadon Tarn on Saturday 20th October.

Testing this week has confirmed that there is still high levels of Blue Green Algae in the water, it is unlikely that we will have a clear test sample prior to this event.

Kind Regards

YSC Committee